Chia seeds are one of the healthiest foods on the planet. They are tiny black seeds from the plant Salvia hispanica, which is related to the mint. They were an important food for the Aztecs and Mayans back in the day. In fact, “chia” is the ancient Mayan word for “strength.”
Loaded with various nutrients, studies suggest that have important health benefits for your brain and body, such as:
- Chia Seeds are packed with nutrients and only a few calories. They contain fiber, protein, fat, calcium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin B3 (niacin), potassium, vitamin B1 (thiamine) and vitamin B2.
- They are loaded with antioxidants.
- They can help in losing weight.
- Chia seeds are high in omega-3 fatty acids.
- They may lower the risk of heart disease.
- They may reduce blood sugar levels and chronic inflammation.
- They improve digestion and cleanse the colon.
Consider adding chia seeds to your diet. They are truly worthy to be called a superfood.
Here are a couple of simple recipes that you can easily make.
Berry Chia Pudding
- 30g Chia seeds ⠀
- 250ml almond milk ⠀
- 150ml coconut milk ⠀
- Mix all the ingredients together and leave in the fridge for 1 hour and a half or overnight. ⠀
- Add mixed berries on top or any other fruit you prefer.
Dragon Fruit Strawberry Chia Pudding Smoothie
- 1 cup of vanilla flavored cashew milk, coconut milk, or almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons of chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons of maple syrup
Dragon Fruit (Pitaya) Smooothie:
Dragon Fruit (also as Pitaya) is so good for you. It’s full of antioxidants, it’s great for boosting the immune system, aiding in digestion, stabilizes blood sugar, aids in heart health and is anti-aging.
- 1 packet of frozen dragon fruit
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 Tablespoons protein powder
- ½ cup apple juice
- splash of lime (optional)
- Make the pudding 3 hours to 1 day in advance. In a small bowl or mason jar with a lid, add the milk, chia seeds and a little bit of maple syrup. Mix well. If the chia seeds start to stick use a whisk to mix and separate them. Set the pudding mixture in the refrigerator for 3 hours or overnight.
- Combine dragon fruit, strawberries, banana, protein powder and apple juice in a blender. Blend for about 30-45 seconds until very smooth.
- Divide the pudding into 2 cups, then top with the smoothie. You may add a splash of lime for a more citrusy flavor.
Not only do you get low carb, low calorie, tasty and filling desserts, you also get to enjoy the various health benefits that chia seeds have to offer. Have a go at these recipes and let me know what you think.
Welcome to Fabulous 50s! My name is Schellea and I’m so glad you’re here.
Fabulous 50s is a platform designed to help women over 50 fall in love with themselves. As an energetic 50-something-year-old myself, I truly believe that 50+ can be the best time of our lives! Through Fabulous 50s, I share fashion, beauty, wellness and lifestyle tips to help women get inspired and stay motivated.
Don’t forget to follow me on social media!
I would love to connect with you.
Take a look at my other content for women over 50!
Want to see more from fabulous 50s?
Check out my favourite fashion, beauty and lifestyle products for women over 50!
Join over 3,000 women over 50 on the fabulous 50s Private Facebook Community Group!
Until Next Time . . . Stay Fabulous!
Do you want fabulous 50s blog posts and videos sent straight to your inbox?
Disclaimer: This content is not sponsored and all opinions are 100% my own. If I LOVE a product first, and there is an affiliate link available, I will use it. However, I will NOT look for a product that pays a commission first, and then do a review…EVER!
Some links are affiliate links. If you click a link and buy something, I may receive a small commission for the sale. It doesn’t cost you anything extra and you are free to use the link or not. Its totally up to you. If you do use my links…Thank you so much xxx